The Legal Department of the RA Ministry of Defence was established in 1996 as a legal unit, then, on May 11, 2001, it was renamed as a department, and therefore, May 11 is celebrated as an annual holiday of the department.
The tasks of the department are:
- organization and implementation of norm-making and law-enforcement activities of the RA Ministry of Defence,
- coordination and management of legal work in the RA Armed Forces,
- implementation of protection of the rights and legal interests of servicemen and their family members, their equals,
- implementation of protection of the interests of the RA Ministry of Defence in the bodies of judicial-legal systems and provision of legal components of the participation of the RA Ministry of Defence in civil-legal relations.
In the course of its activity, the department carries out the following functions:
- the process of development, agreement and submission of normative legal acts related to the RA defence sector and defence interests,
- examination of legal acts submitted to the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Armenia, orders of the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Armenia and his deputies, drafts of international agreements related to the field of defence, discussion of other non-normative documents and submission of proposal,
- provision of an official clarification on the laws and other legal acts regulating the RA defence sector,
- cooperation with the competent authorities in order to prevent crimes, emergencies and accidents in the Armed Forces of the Republic of Armenia,
- organization and implementation of methodological and practical measures aimed at legal security of the activities of the RA Armed Forces,
- discussion of applications, complaints and suggestions of citizens on legal issues related to the RA defence sector and provision of their solutions.